The community’s first public school, which was called Jamison School, was established approximately around the year 1873. A two–room structure was built shortly after the civil war on property adjacent to the cemetery donated by Mr. Alfred Beal. Students from the first to fifth grades were taught in these two rooms by Mr. Joe Mathias who served as the first teacher. This new school quickly became a central point of activity in this small community. Although some students came from surrounding communities, Bealsville students were often in classes with and taught by cousins, neighbors, and fellow church members. Local people staffed the lunchroom and made up most of the custodial staff. Close relationships were formed between students, teachers, administrators, and parents in this environment. This was the ideal community school that reigns positively in popular nostalgia. As the student enrollment increased, a third was established at Antioch Baptist Church.
Over the next several decades’ residents pleaded for a new school. In 1932 the residents raised $1,100 from fish fries, ice cream sales, and musicals. Ben Glover donated ten acres to the Hillsborough County School Board. The school matched these funds and new wood-framed school was built in 1933. Two years later, the school was renamed after William Glover, who was the father of Ben Glover. Later, the Glover PTA was established by Jeanette Cunningham and she became the first president of William Glover School. The PTA purchased the piano for Glover School.
In 1945, a three-room block building was constructed by the county. Pupils from Keysville, Coronet, Hopewell, Trapnell, Picnic, Dover, Knight Station, and Wimauma were transported to William Glover School. These students lived many, many miles away and had to travel for long hours. During their travel, they would pass other schools Restricted to white students only. All students that attending William Glover had to use torn and outdated books. Many of these books had missing pages and had all sorts of dirty words written within the pages. The first non county paid bus driver, was Edward Broadnax. The first county paid bus driver to receive pay was Joseph Broadnax.
In 1949, a second wooden structure was moved on campus of the William Glover School. The front section of this building was used as the office while the rest was used for fourth and fifth grade students. Later the same year, another four rooms were built to provide for educational growth. Finally, five buildings comprised the campus of William Glover School. During this time, Mr. E. L. Bing was principal at William Glover School followed by Mr. J. S. Robinson.
Perhaps the real beginning of the William Glover School began in the thirties when surplus government foods were given to needy families. The 4-H Home Demonstration ladies gave William Glover permission for food to be prepared and served in their club house which was near the William Glover School campus. Students who were financially able were asked to pay fifteen cents per week which was used to purchase additional supplement government commodities. These ladies who prepared the food were also from needy families and were paid a salary by the government paid through this plan.
As a special project the Parent Teacher Association purchased a refrigerator to help preserve the food. Parents of the community always gave food to aid the ladies in preparing tasty meals. All children were served regardless of their ability to pay. When the government surplus program no longer existed, sandwiches were served from the storage room on the campus. The teachers at William Glover School assisted while students prepared the sandwiches.
Later during the school year, vegetables were prepared in one classroom while other classes were going on. Group of students were taken to the fields to pick vegetables by one teacher or the principal while other were in class. The principal, teachers, and students accepted this routine as part of their regular duties. Class work was never neglected. After some time, the county set up a lunchroom in its present location. Parents continued to donate vegetables. Some teachers and students would pick vegetables that would be prepared and canned by parents.
Ms. Juanita Berry, a Science/Agriculture teacher at William Glover School planted greens, peas, and other vegetables on the northeast section of the campus. To cultivate those crops, a mule was borrowed from Mr. Theodore Clark and those vegetables were used at the school. Additionally, students were taught how to produce and harvest crops. Through the courtesy of Mr. D. A. Storm who was an Agriculture Teacher at Plant City High School, it was possible to obtain canning equipment which eventually the entire community was able to use after a small building was erected on campus of William Glover School by the School Board.
Around 1950, the lunchroom took on real status being entirely financed by the county. The first lunchroom workers were, Mrs. Leola Berry the Lunchroom Manager, as well Mrs. Viola Green and Mrs. Jessie Hargrett. The costs of lunches were 25 cent per day or a $1 a week. After the lunchroom was completed, teachers taught the students the correct way to enter and leave the lunchroom, table manners, and to use soft voices while eating.
William Glover School continued to grow with the addition of Home-Making, Agriculture, Physical Education and Industrial Art Classes. The PTA and the community cooperated in the construction of a cement play court and the installation of lights. Many outdoor activities were held on the court. One in particular was the yearly May Day Event.
William Glover School was called “A Strawberry School.” The school year included the months of April through December. During the other months, students were allowed to pick strawberries and do other types of farm work until the next school year. This continued until 1953, no one graduated from Glover because of the change over to the now current school year. Many Students believed they were mistreated because they were not allowed to go to the next grade until the following year. Although not an option for many, those who had the opportunity to go to high school had to migrate to nearby Bartow, Lakeland, or Tampa until a Black high school was built in Plant City in 1936.
During 1969 – 1970, Mr. Manuel C. Carbrera was the principal with Mrs. Elizabeth Barkley, (Learning Specialist), Mrs. Ida White (Reading Resource Teacher), Miss Evelyn Roberts (Physical Education), and Ms. Crystal Suarez (Librarian).
The Primary teachers were Mrs. Leola McDonald, Mrs. Robert Hidrick, Mrs. Margie Menefee, and Mrs. Eddie Mae Brown. The intermediate teachers were Mrs. Ethel Glover, Mrs. Linda Rehem, Mrs. Mildred Crowder, Mrs. Geraldine Berry, Mrs. Altamease Nickson, Mr. Clyde Allen, and Mrs. Theola Hall.
The Project Head Start was established in 1965 by the government. Two units were awarded to Glover School. The teachers were Beatrice B. Crowell and Tommie Lee Thomas (Deceased). Their aides were Hattie Bell Brown Cox and Inez Mackey (Deceased). The Child Development Specialist (name later changed to Home Economist) was Virginia Rogers Hargrett, who was assigned to William Glover School for six years. Part of the responsibilities of her job included, teaching nutrition, sewing, arts and craft to Head Start parents. It also included transporting children to the dentist, doctors and field trips. After integration, transfers were made, Essie Mae Ackerman and Mozella Gay replaced Crowell and Thomas.
The staff of William Glover believed that in order for the child to achieve in school, he must have good study habits, attitudes for learning, and certainly parental backing. Unfortunately, despite their educational achievements, job opportunities for these early scholars were generally limited to teaching. They believed that this could be attained by taking a critical look at how, where, and when children learn.
With the Desegregation of schools in Hillsborough County this action brought about many changes for William Glover School in 1971 when a court ordered county schools to adhere to the federal judge's recommendation of a "Black-White ratio of 20 to 80" in each school black students were bused to formerly all-White schools for nearly all of their schooling. S students at this time were transported from Pinecrest, Trapnell and Turkey Creek areas. The former all-Black schools were turned into sixth- or seventh-grade centers. Due to these changes, the Glover School was converted to a sixth-grade center. For their sixth-grade year, White students were bused to the Glover School from surrounding areas, while several Glover teachers were moved around the county to help desegregate other schools. The school operated in this manner for ten years before the county decided to close it due to low enrollment and budgetary concerns. In 1980 William Glover School was closed permanently. After much deliberation, the Bealsville Incorporation was organized and the Hillsborough County School Broad returned the ten acres of land and the building to the Corporation. The Historic Glover School Campus is now listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Partial Listing of Additional Jamison Students:
Opalee Holloman Anderson, Enise Berry Anderson, Bernita Smith Bobo, Rudy Curry Williams, Milton L. Curry, Eva Mae Holloman Baker, Barney Chester Holloman, Emma Lee Holloman Davis, Mary Dell Dexter White, Delphina Dexter Broadnax, Alphonso Holloman, Jasper Martin, Hazel Holloman Gainer, Joshua Holloman, Nathaniel Holloman, Adam Holloman, Laura Mae Patterson Williams, Audrey Holloman Wright, Hetor Berry, Horry Berry, David Berry, Gettis Berry, Corney Berry, Roy Berry, Rena Cunningham Turner, Beulah Cunningham, Jonny White, Ovid V. Hargrett, Sr., Leola Berry McDonald, Loretha Beal Glenn, Belton Beal, Alfred Beal, W. O. Beal, Henretta Bryant, Joseph Broadnax, W. B. Berry, Lessie Berry Hutchinson, Juanita Berry, Columbus Berry, Joel Lundy, Wallace Patterson, Phostella Patterson Bowers, Mellie Lawton, Elijah Holloman, Eddie Holloman, Edgar Berry, Maude Williams, Bertha Mae Veron, Arthur Wright, Carrie Bell Corbett, Haywood Wright
1964 Glover School Faculty: Altamease Nickson, Ethel Glover, Theola Hall, Clyde Allen, Beatrice Crowell, Leola McDonald, Ida Mae Price White, Juanita Berry, Geraldine Berry
1964 Glover School P.T.A. Officers: Rev. Samuel Hicks, Mrs. Ethella Holloman, Mr. Arthur Wright, Mrs. Eddie Mae Brown, Mrs. Bertha Ingram
Executive Director of Glover School Historic Restoration
VBS- Vacation Bible Study
Vacation Bible Study Kick Off is June 9th. Community Churches will kick off several weeks of VBS. HCC will be providing information on college enrollment as well as the Plant City Eagles Hat Drive.
Bealsville Summer Camp July 1st
Summer Camp will be held on July 1st with two weeks of fun and both spiritual and educational instruction. The summer camp will be held at the Bealsville Recreation Center.
Come out to the VBS Kick Off on Saturday June 9th to obtain more information and registration.
After pleading for a new school failed during the 1930's failed, Bealsville residents raised $1,000 dollars and donated over ten acres of land for a new school. This structure was then renamed Glover School after the resident William A. Glover whose family donated the land the school is currently located. As a result a three room block building was constructed by the county and pupils from Keysville, Hopewell, Coronet and Trapnell were transported to the Glover Center.
In 1945, a three room block building was constructed. In 1949, a second wooden structure was moved onto the campus. In 1954, another four rooms were built to provide for educational growth, with grades 1-9 operational.